We are hiring!
Metamorphic media is a privately held company that works with world-class organizations to create, operate and grow powerful media brands related to global affairs and military. Our flagship publication is war on the rocks and we are also proud to lead the Texas National Security Review (https://tnsr.org) in partnership with the University of Texas at Austin.
Metamorphic Media is looking for a smart, self-driven and highly organized individual to be responsible for the production of the Texas National Security Review as well as the newspaper’s social networks. Candidates for this position must be able to set and meet deadlines, have a keen eye for detail and be able to work within a small dynamic team. This is a part-time position (20 hours per week) starting in April 2022.
About the journal
the Texas National Security Review, launched in 2017, is dedicated to publishing academically rigorous, policy-relevant, interdisciplinary articles with a focus on national security, broadly defined. The aim of the journal is to be accessible to policy makers, academics and the educated public; scientifically credible and rigorous; and multidisciplinary. Print issues are published on a quarterly schedule and our online roundtables come out more often. The content of the journal combines contributions from scholars, practitioners and policy makers.
About the position
The ideal candidate for this part-time position will have experience in editing, overseeing the production of a print product, managing a website, and managing social media accounts.
The Production Editor will be responsible for three lines of effort:
- Oversee the production of our quarterly print edition, including working with our outsourced design team on cover and artwork, checking successive drafts of the product with the help of a team of reviewers, signing off on the final version and working with printers ensure timely delivery of problems;
- Administer the website, including posting articles online, updating the website and managing subscriptions; and
- Managing our social media accounts.
This editor will work under the direction of the Editor-in-Chief and will be an integral part of the Metamorphic Media team. Although this position requires working in a team, it also requires someone who is autonomous and able to manage projects and deadlines.
We prefer to hire someone based in the Washington, DC area, but will consider applicants who live elsewhere in the United States.
The compensation is competitive and it is possible that this will become a full-time position.
- Work with our editor on the cover design and illustrations for each issue and with our design team to produce final versions
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar for the print edition in coordination with our editor and design team
- Communicate with our print designers and send them finalized versions of all materials that will appear in the print edition
- Oversee the thorough review of each printed issue of TNSR in coordination with our team of reviewers
- Work closely with our printers to ensure each issue is sent on time
- Management of social media accounts
- Website management (built on WordPress)
- Publish articles online
- Subscription management
Skills and experience required
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to work flexibly within a small team
Desired skills and experience
- Management of social media accounts
- Creation of a printed product
Before applying, please take a few minutes to review the website of Texas National Security Review and familiarize yourself with the different types of content we produce, including PDFs of our articles, which are based on the print edition of each issue.
Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter, all as PDF files and all as attachments (no Google Drive, please). The cover letter should include a funny story about yourself. Send applications to [email protected] with TNSR PRODUCTION EDITOR APP in the subject line. Please note that the application process will include an editing test.
The application deadline is March 15, 2022.
Metamorphic Media LLC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion , sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state authorities. , or local law.