Number of Covid-19 cases continues to increase in the United States and around the world. To slow the spread of the virus, the
When it comes to home testing, the BinaxNOW COVID-19 test is one of the
You can use this test if you have symptoms. If you don’t have symptoms, the manufacturers advise you to test twice within 3 days.
Here’s what you need to know about this test kit, safety precautions, price, and more.
The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test is an FDA-cleared home test kit for detecting active infections with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in people with and without symptoms.
According to companythis test kit can screen for many strains of SARS-CoV-2, including Delta and Omicron variants.
The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test is a rapid test that uses a shallow nasal swab sample to check for the presence or absence of proteins from the virus that causes COVID-19.
Here’s how it works:
- Inside your box you will find two test kits, each containing a swab, a test card in a pouch, and a dropper bottle.
- Follow the instructions provided with the kit to collect your sample.
- Wait at least 15 minutes but no more than 30 to read your results.
- If your result is negative and you have no symptoms, you can test twice in 3 days. Be sure to wait at least 24 hours, but no more than 48 hours between tests. If you have symptoms, all you have to do is get tested.
Healthline senior associate Sydney Hanan tested the BinaxNOW COVID-19 kit and found it to be quite similar to other home testing kits available.
“It came with just about everything I needed to take both tests, including two test cards, two dropper bottles, two swabs, and an instruction sheet,” she said. . “The only thing I needed to provide was an hour, which was pretty easy to do on my phone.”
Sydney noted that she had taken different types of COVID-19 home tests and that BinaxNOW was simple and straightforward.
“[It] takes about 20 minutes in total (5 to perform the test and 15 to get the results),” she said.
However, you may not be able to rely on this test kit (or similar at-home options) if your results come back negative. You could still have COVID-19, especially if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
Manufacturers recommend testing again after 24 to 48 hours to confirm your results. If it’s still negative despite your symptoms, it’s best to see your doctor.
If you see an invalid result, the test did not work and you will need to take another test.
That being said, the FDA also said that because the study was small, it estimates the kit can correctly identify 73% to 98.9% of positive cases.
Other studies suggest that you can rely on the kit to detect Omicron and Delta variants, and other variants of concern (VOC).
Before taking your sample
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Your box will contain two test kits; remove one. You will find a swab, a test card and a dropper bottle.
- Take the card out of its sleeve and check if it has the blue control line. Do not use it if it does not have the blue control line. Open the card and let it lie flat on a table.
- Pour 6 drops of the liquid from the dropper bottle into the top hole of the card. Don’t let the tip of the bottle touch the card.
Collecting your sample
- Insert the soft end of the swab halfway into a nostril. Press the swab against the walls of your nostrils and create five large circles with the swab in your nostril.
- Repeat for the other nostril.
Take the test
- Insert the tip of the swab into the bottom hole of the card and push it in until you can see it from the top hole.
- Twist the swab to the right three times so it can mix with the drops. Leave the swab there.
- Peel off the sticky backing, then close the left side of the card to cover the swab. Seal the card.
- Wait 15 minutes to see your results. Only check your results after 15 minutes, but don’t wait longer than 30 minutes.
Interpreting your results
- Check the result window on the map and look for pink or purple lines.
- If you find two pink or purple lines, your test result is positive for COVID-19.
- Your test result is negative if you find a single pink or purple line.
- If no line appears, a blue line appears, a blue and pink or purple line appears, then your result is invalid and you must take another test.
The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test is a product of Abbott Laboratories, an internationally recognized health technology company.
However, Abbott Laboratories is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and currently has a 1.06 out of 5 star rating. Over the past year, the company has closed 65 complaints. Most complaints relate to products other than the BinaxNOW COVID-19 test, but some note that the company’s customer service is poor.
The test kit is rated 4.7 out of 5 stars from 10,540 global ratings on Amazon. Most reviews were positive, noting that the kit was easy to use and worked well in detecting COVID-19.
A few have complained about the contents of the box. Some said the box only contained one kit instead of two. Another mentioned that the seal on the box had already broken on arrival.
You can get the BinaxNOW COVID-19 test at retailers like:
Can someone get a false positive COVID-19 result with the BinaxNOW COVID-19 antigen test?
How accurate are rapid COVID-19 tests?
A study 2021 observed that rapid COVID-19 tests detected SARS-CoV-2 infection in 72% of people with symptoms and 58% without symptoms.
Does insurance cover BinaxNOW test kits?
As of early 2022, people with a health plan or health insurance can get any FDA-cleared home test for free or be reimbursed for payment for the home test. You can contact your supplier for more information.
Who can use this test kit?
People aged 15 and over, vaccinated or not, with or without symptoms of COVID-19, can take this test. But if you have no symptoms and your results are negative, get another test within 24 to 48 hours.
An adult can administer the test for children 2 years of age or older.
Rapid home COVID-19 test kits are quick and economical ways to test to see if you have COVID-19. You can also take these tests wherever you are and get your results in minutes.
The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Test is an EUA-cleared FDA-cleared COVID-19 test kit that can detect if you have the virus. Your results will be available within 15-30 minutes.
Although this test kit is FDA cleared, it is not 100% accurate and may still reflect false or inconclusive results. You can visit your doctor or take a PCR test in person for more accurate results.
Frances Gatta is a freelance writer specializing in healthcare. She has experience writing about general health, women’s health, health technology, mental health, and personalized nutrition. You can reach her at Twitter and LinkedIn.